‘Omicron Variant is a serious concern’
● ‘Omicron’ is a new kind of COVID-19 (a ‘variant’)
● Cases are increasing rapidly
● Seems to spread more easily and quickly than the ‘Delta’ variant, the main kind of COVID-19 in the UK now.
● The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) estimates that if Omicron continues to grow at the present rate, the variant will become the dominant strain, accounting for more than 50% of all COVID-19 infections in the UK by mid-December 2021
● It is projected that if current trends continue unchanged, then UK will exceed one million infections a day by the end of this month.